Our Meet the Maker guest for today will come as no surprise to those of you in the two pretty poppets PDF sewing patterns facebook group. With her gorgeous fabrics and beautiful bag construction it’s hard to look past her amazing creations, but there is one thing that definitely makes them stand out from the crowd. Spandex!!!
Today’s guest is none other than the incredibly talented Janelle, from Peppa N Salt, who has kindly agreed to share some of her spandex bag making secrets with us.
1.What made you decide to sew bags with spandex in the first place?
I love spandex and two pretty poppets’ patterns, so it made sense to me to mash them together! Plus I like to try and be a bit different and find that market that nobody else is doing.
2. Is it hard to sew a bag with what many consider a difficult fabric?
I’ve had a bit of practice sewing patterns with it as it should be used. If you understand the fabric and how it works, then that’s a huge help!
3. Do you have any specific tips to help those of us that are a little scared about our first spandex bag attempt?
Once it’s interfaced correctly, I treat it like a woven as it doesn’t have much stretch any more! I make sure my interfacing has no stretch to begin with as some stretch two ways and some do not, then I proceed as normal! Take your time fusing, it takes longer than wovens.
4. How do you ensure the bags will keep their shape?
I love the ‘by Annie’s Soft and Stable’ and only use that in my spandex bags as it has great structure and bounces back to shape. Making sure it’s interfaced correctly also helps.
5. Are there any other little secrets you’re willing to share?
- Always cover your spandex with a cloth or it will melt when interfacing.
- Use good quality fabrics
- Be brave!
- If you never try, you’ll never know the outcome!
6. You also sew gorgeous bags from woven fabric. Do you prefer woven over spandex or does it not really matter as long as you get to sew?
I love making spandex ones, as they are just that bit different! But will happily make woven too.
7. What has been your proudest creative moment thus far?
Trying the Stand Up & Tote Notice tote bag pattern with spandex and it actually working LOL.
Thank you, Janelle, for sharing your amazing bag making secrets. You can see more of Janelle’s wonderful creations at:
Who else now thinks they need to try spandex for their next bag…?
Happy spandex-sewing! Lisa 🙂