Introducing the Summertime Sling by Andrie Designs! This is an easy to follow sewing pattern that comes with two sizes included – small and large. It features horizontally pieced outer panels, allowing you to have fun with fabrics and notions.
~ The Summertime Sling was first featured in the October 2017 issue of the Australian ‘Homespun’ magazine as the ‘My First Handbag’ pattern (click here) ~
It has a top zipper closure, two inner pockets and an adjustable cross body strap. Not a fan of piecing? Simply use the fleece/foam Outer Panel pattern piece instead to cut whole fabric panels and create a completely different look!
This pattern comes with two files – the pattern instructions/pieced pattern pages, and a large print pattern pieces file suitable for printing at your local print shop on the correct sized paper. It has 10 pages of clear, detailed instructions. It is suitable for an advanced beginner sewer. All pattern pieces have been digitally drawn. Wary of zippers? Don’t be! Throughout the pattern I give detailed and comprehensive instructions and diagrams to make adding the zippers an easy and stress-free experience.
The finished sizes of the Summertime Sling are as follows:
SMALL SIZE –
- Width – 9” (23cm)
- Height – 8 1/2” (22cm)
- Depth – 3” (7.5cm)
LARGE SIZE –
- Width – 11″ (28cm)
- Height – 10 1/2″ (26.5cm)
- Depth – 3″ (7.5cm)
- Outer Panel A – TOP (i.e. quilting cotton) – up to 13” x 10” (33cm x 25cm)
- Outer Panel B – MIDDLE (i.e. quilting cotton) – up to 13” x 11” (33cm x 28cm)
- Outer Panel C – BOTTOM (i.e. quilting cotton) – 13” x 12” (33cm x 30cm)
- Outer Gusset & Top Zipper Panel (i.e. quilting cotton) – 1/4yd (23cm)
- Lining (i.e. quilting cotton) – 1/2yd (46cm)
- Zipper & Slip Pockets (i.e. quilting cotton) – 1/4yd (23cm)
- Strap & Strap Connectors (i.e. quilting cotton) – 2yd (183cm)
- By Annie’s Soft and Stable Foam Interfacing (or equivalent foam) OR Fusible Fleece (i.e. Pellon Thermolam 971F, Vilene H640) – up to 32” x 17” (81cm x 43cm)
- Light-Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (i.e. Pellon Shapeflex SF101, Legacy Shapeflex L-SF101) (NOTE: based on a 40”/100cm width) – up to 2yd (183cm)
- 2 Rectangular Rings & 1 Slider – Both sizes – 1½” (3.8cm) size
- Coordinating Zippers – 1 chunky/long pull zipper up to 14” (36cm), 1 dress zipper up to 8” (20cm)
- Coordinating thread, scissors and general sewing supplies including fabric glue/tape.
You can purchase the hardware kit for this pattern from Betty Box Pleat and Bobbin Girl.
Andrie Designs Copyright 2018
All Rights Reserved
– Do not copy this pattern, claim as your own or allow others to use it.
– This pattern may be used for personal and small businesses producing limited quantities only.
mel_jan (verified owner) –
I really enjoyed making this bag. The pattern was easy to follow and very accurate. Have now bought another pattern to make and am looking forward to making it. Would definitely recommend Summertime Sling.
Helen Hatch (verified owner) –
Fantastic pattern easy to follow with lots of pictures, gorgeous bag highly recommended I look forward to getting more of these great patterns in the near future. 👍🙂
Marit A (verified owner) –
Great pattern, smart and simple solutions compared to a lot of other bag patterns I have bought and sewn from other designers. Recomend this highly!