Introducing the That Flap Saddlebag pattern by Andrie Designs! This is an easy to follow sewing pattern to create a saddlebag-type bag, with a variety of applique motifs included to make each and every bag completely unique!
~ The That Flap Saddlebag was first featured in the October 2018 issue of the Australian ‘Homespun’ magazine as the ‘Glamshell Essentials Purse’ pattern ~
Included in the pattern are 10 amazing and trending applique motifs, ranging from simple designs up to more complex ones as well. If you haven’t tried applique before, don’t fret! In the pattern, and even more so in the full length video tutorial, we give detailed and easy to following directions on how to first place your motif on your flap fabric, and then also how to applique it in place to give a great finish!
Along with the applique-embellished flap, the That Flap Saddlebag also has a turn lock closure, a rounded body, and an inner zipper pocket.
Included is a shoulder strap option, attached with simple 1″ rectangular rings, however, the pattern also contains a link to a free tutorial showing how to create an adjustable cross body strap if you would like that option instead, making it a win win for all!
The versatility of this pattern knows no bounds. Use playful fabrics and make a fun bag for a child, or use more striking fabrics to make an elegant evening bag for an adult. Use natural, earthy tones to make a beautifully autumn-inspired bag, or bright floral prints to fit in to spring and all it’s brightness.
This pattern comes with two files – the pattern instructions/pieced pattern pages, and a large print pattern pieces file suitable for printing at your local print shop on the correct sized paper. It has 9 pages of clear, detailed instructions. It is suitable for an advanced beginner sewer. All pattern pieces have been digitally drawn.
Wary of zippers? Don’t be! Throughout the pattern I give detailed and comprehensive instructions and diagrams to make adding the zipper an easy and stress-free experience.
The finished size of the That Flap Saddlebag is as follows:
- Width – 9” (23cm)
- Height – 7 1/4” (18.5cm)
- Depth – 1 1/2” (4cm)
- Fabric for the outer body, flap, strap and strap connectors (i.e. quilting cotton) – 5/8yd (58cm)
- Fabric for the applique motif on the flap, lining and inner zipper pocket (i.e. quilting cotton) – 1/2yd (46cm)
- By Annie’s Soft and Stable Foam Interfacing (or equivalent foam) OR Fusible Fleece (i.e. Pellon Thermolam 971F, Vilene H640) – 34” x 12” (86cm x 30cm)
- Medium Weight Fusible Interfacing (i.e. Pellon Shapeflex SF101, Legacy Shapeflex L-SF101) – 7/8yd (79cm) based on a 40” (100cm) width
- Firm Fusible Stabiliser (i.e. Pellon’s Peltex #71F, Legacy #71F) – 3” x 4” (7.6cm x 10cm)
- Heat n Bond Lite Iron On Adhesive (or similar product) – 10” x 9” (25cm x 23cm)
- 1 turn lock – approximately 1½” x ¾” (3.8cm x 1.8cm) size (NOTE: a slightly smaller or larger turn lock will work fine too)
- 2 rectangular rings – 1” (2.5cm) size
- 1 coordinating dress zipper – 6” (15cm) length
- Coordinating thread, scissors and general sewing supplies including fabric tape/glue and an awl.
Andrie Designs Copyright 2018
All Rights Reserved
– Do not copy this pattern, claim as your own or allow others to use it.
– This pattern may be used for personal and small businesses producing limited quantities only.